GPSAP 2021 to 2030: Strategic Objective 1
|Links to Tools and Resources mapped to SO1||Shared by||Country|
Strategic Objective 1, Policies to eliminate avoidable harm in health care, focuses on making zero avoidable harm to patients a state of mind and a rule of engagement in the planning and delivery of health care everywhere. The 5 key strategies are:
- Strategy 1.1: Develop a comprehensive patient safety policy, strategy, institutional framework and action plan for the country’s health system and all its components as a key priority in working towards universal health coverage.
- Strategy 1.2: Mobilize and allocate adequate resources for patient safety implementation throughout every level of the health care system.
- Strategy 1.3: Use selective legislation to facilitate the delivery of safe patient care and the protection of patients and health workers from avoidable harm.
- Strategy 1.4: Align health care regulatory, inspectorial and accreditation activities with the goal of improving performance on patient safety.
- Strategy 1.5: Create maximum awareness of World Patient Safety Day and Global Patient Safety Challenges as a way of maintaining a high public and political profile for patient safety.
Refer to Global Patient Safety Action Plan (GPSAP) 2021-2030 for the detailed framework for action through the 7 Strategic Objectives and 35 strategies. Each strategy is further operationalized into suggested actions for four key groups or categories of partners: governments, health care facilities and services, stakeholders and the WHO Secretariat.