Patient and Family Engagement CoCreation Consensus Workshop Report
|Patient and Family Engagement Consensus Report||Shared by||Country|
|Mapped to GPSAP 2021 - 2030, Strategic Objective 4- All Strategies Download GKPSFILEA2||SingHealth Duke-NUS Institute for Patient Safety & Quality (IPSQ)||Asia-Pacific|
The Global Patient Safety Action Plan (GPSAP) 2021-2030 on Patient and Family Engagement Co-Creation Consensus Workshop was held at the 3rd Asia-Pacific Patients Congress 2021 .
The workshop was crafted to support Strategic Objective 4, which advocates for Engaging and Empowering Patients and Families to help and support the journey to safer health care. It brought together various stakeholders, particularly patients and patient advocates to discuss how they can share views and suggest action plans to contribute in accelerating GPSAP 2021-2030, Strategic Objective 4.
Voices from patients offers a different perspective in the care process and it is important to integrate their opinions into designing a safer health care system. For patients to be empowered, all stakeholders in the health system need to recognize the importance of shared decision.
- Create awareness of strategic direction and recommendations from the 5 strategies in GPSAP 2021-2030, Strategic Objective 4: Patient and Family Engagement (Engage and empower patients and families to help and support the journey to safer health care.
- Facilitate consensus building by Patient Advocate Leads in Asia Pacific. The session should lead to agreement and support for an Asia-Pacific Patient Advocacy Consensus for Patient Safety as guided by the 5 strategies in Strategic Objective 4, namely:
- Engage patients, families and civil society organizations in co‑development of policies, plans, strategies, programmes and guidelines to make health care safer (Strategy 4.1)
- Learn from the experience of patients and families exposed to unsafe care to improve understanding of the nature of harm and foster the development of more effective solutions (Strategy 4.2)
- Build the capacity of patient advocates and champions in patient safety (Strategy 4.3)
- Establish the principle and practice of openness and transparency throughout health care, including through patient safety disclosure to patients and families (Strategy 4.4)
- Provide information and education to patients and families for their involvement in self-care and empower them for shared decision-making (Strategy 4.5)
In promoting Patient and Family Engagement, we encourage you to share best practices for implementing and learnings on “Engaging Patients for Patient Safety” as aligned to the theme of World Patient Safety Day 2023.